This program is for anyone interested in exploring a career in nursing and trying out first year courses in the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree program. All credits from this certificate program are transferrable upon successful admission to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree program at the University of Regina.
- Grade 12 with a minimum 65% in English A30 and B30, one 30-level math or science course, one 30-level language, social science or arts course and one 30-level elective
- English language requirement
Please note that if you do not meet these entrance requirements, special admissions options may be available.
The completion of this certificate does not guarantee admission to the SCBScN program, but all of the courses of this certificate are credited to the SCBScN program at the University of Regina for those who apply and are successfully admitted.
For details on admission to the SCBScN program at the University of Regina, visit uregina.ca/nursing.
• ENGL 100 - Critical Reading and Writing I
• STAT 100 - Elementary Statistics for Applications
• INHS 100 - Introduction to Indigenous Health Studies I
• BIOL 222 - Microbiology for Health Professionals
• BIOL 140 - Human Biology
AND ONE OF:
• KIN 170 - Lifestyle, Health and Wellness
• KIN 180 - Lifespan Growth and Motor Development
• KIN 275 - Introduction to Nutrition
What You Will Learn
The Certificate in Foundations for Nursing is designed for individuals who may be interested in applying to the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (SCBScN) through the University of Regina and want to gain a better understanding of the program while taking courses that will lighten the first-year course load in a Nursing degree. This certificate program is also a great way to explore the nursing profession before applying to the full degree program.
There is a two-stage application process for a Foundations for Nursing Certificate:
1. Contact a Great Plains College student adviser and they will work with you to complete the University of Regina undergraduate application form. You must also apply to Great Plains College.
2. Apply to the University of Regina through the Foundations for Nursing Certificate application process.
Apply as a full-time student before April 30, you may be eligible for a $500 – $5,000 Entrance Scholarship. Apply before June 30 if you are in Grade 11 and have a 70% average, you are eligible for a $1,000 Early Entrance Award.