1. Describe the importance of lubrication and the operating principles of lubrication.
2. Describe the methods for basic care and maintenance of bearings and their related lubrication systems.
B2. Pumps and Compressors
3. Describe the construction and operating principles of various types of pumps used in buildings and industrial plants.
4. Describe maintenance procedures for efficient and reliable pump operation.
5. Describe the construction and operating principles of the diﬀerent types of compressors.
6. Describe the startup, operation and shut down of different types of compressors.
B3. Boiler Safety Devices
7. Explain the code and standards requirements, design and operation of pressure relief valves for power boilers, heating boilers, and pressure vessels.
8. Explain the design and operation of combustion safety controls on burners and boilers.
9. Describe feedwater control methods and devices used on boilers.
10. Describe the code and standards required and operation required fittings, along with the operating principles of fittings found on boilers.
11. Name and describe the operating and safety controls found on boilers.
B4. Plant (Boiler) Operations
12. Describe the safe and eﬃcient operational procedures that relate to starting up the auxiliary equipment in a boiler plant.
13. Describe the safe and eﬃcient operational procedures that relate to starting up boiler systems.
14. Describe the safe and eﬃcient operational procedures that relate to operating boilers.
15. Describe the operational checks that need to be conducted for an operating boiler plant.
16. Describe generic shutdown and layup procedures for different boilers.
17. Describe the essential points and readings that need to be monitored and recorded in a plant.
B5. Power Plant /Heating Plant Maintenance
18. Describe the safe use of common hand tools in the powerhouse.
19. Describe mechanical fasteners and the safe and proper setup of equipment for hoisting and working above ground.
20. Describe the service and maintenance required for boilers.
21. Discuss the procedure for preparing a boiler for inspection and cleaning, and describe mechanical and chemical boiler cleaning methods.
B6. Water Treatment
22. Describe the general principles, methods and equipment used in preparing raw feedwater for steam production in a boiler.
23. Describe the general principles, methods and equipment used for the internal treatment of boiler water.
24. Discuss the general principles, methods and equipment used for the treatment of condensate.
25. Discuss the general principles, methods and equipment used for the treatment of cooling tower and condenser water.
26. Describe cooling water/chilled water effects, treatment and tests.
27. Describe heating system water effects, treatment and tests.
B7. Prime Movers and Engines
28. Describe the conversion of heat into mechanical energy and the history of steam engine.
29. Describe the construction and operation of steam turbines.
30. Describe the operation and maintenance of cooling towers and condensors.
31. Describe the application, set up operation and maintenance required for gas turbines.
32. Describe the application, construction, and operation of internal combustion engines.
B8. Auxiliary Building Systems
33. Explain lighting systems and some of the basic design considerations for lighting a space.
34. Explain the various water supply systems used in buildings.
35. Describe the design and components of various sanitary drainage systems used in buildings.
36. Explain the basic concept of refrigeration and refrigerants.
37. Describe the operating principles, operation and maintenance of compression refrigeration systems.
38. Describe the purposes and operating principles of the operational and safety controls on a refrigeration system.
39. Describe the operating principle, maintenance and operation of absorption refrigeration systems.
B10. Heating Ventilating and Air Conditioning
40. Explain the methods and techniques for conditioning air for human comfort and health.
41. Explain the equipment and principles of humidification.
42. Describe the air flow behaviour and movement of air through distribution systems.
43. Describe the various ventilation systems found in buildings, as well as describe the various types of air filters used in these systems.
44. Describe the designs and components of duct systems used in air conditioning.
45. Describe the various types of coils used in HVAC systems, and their operation.
B11. Heating and Cooling Systems
46. Describe the operating principles and maintenance procedures of steam heating systems and the components of these systems.
47. Describe the various designs of hot water heating systems, as well as their equipment and operation.
48. Describe the common heating systems that a Power Engineer may encounter.
49. Describe central, Unitary and Combined types of HVAC systems.
50. Describe heat gains and losses and the common methods of recovering energy from the system.
51. Describe the control systems strategies used in HVAC systems.
B12. Types of Plants
52. Identify steam-related processes in some common types of plants that employ Power Engineers.