Duty to Report
Great Plains College is committed to creating and maintaining learning environments in which students, staff and others feel safe. The college cannot and will not ignore any threat of violence. To keep college communities safe, staff, students, caregivers and community members must report all threat-related behaviours to a Great Plains College staff member or call 1-866-296-2472.
A Student Violence Threat Risk Assessment will be initiated for behaviours including, but not limited to:
- Serious violence or violence with intent to harm or kill
- Verbal/written threats to harm or kill self/others
- Online threats to harm or kill self/others
- Possession of weapons (including replicas)
- Bomb threats
- Fire starting
- Sexual intimidation or assault
- Gang-related intimidation and violence
What you need to know
- An investigation may involve students, staff members, the police of jurisdiction, or other community agencies and may involve locker or personal property searches.
- Interviews will be held with the threat maker and other students or adults who may have information about the threat.
- Threatening behaviour may result in disciplinary action.
- An intervention plan may be developed for the student making the threat and a support plan developed for any individuals targeted by threats.
For more information, download Great Plains College's Violence Threat Risk Assessment Protocol.
In Case of Emergency
Your instructor will review Great Plains College emergency procedures at the beginning of your program. You will be made aware of what to do in case of emergencies (such as fires, tornados, lockdowns, etc.), where to assemble outside and who to report your presence to.