Build the confidence to take that next step in your employment or education journey in Canada. Improve your ability to work with numbers, communicate, read and write, and develop the skills you need for a career in childcare.
- Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) Level 5
- Permanent resident
- No recognized Canadian Grade 12
Admission to this program is a three-step process, including: a required information evening, an interview and final registration.
Attend a webinar to learn about the program and next steps for registration. Upcoming webinar dates include:
- May 17, 2023 - 1:00 p.m.
- May 24, 2023 - 7:00 p.m.
- May 31, 2023 - 1:00 p.m.
- June 14, 2023 - 7:00 p.m.
- June 21, 2023 - 1:00 p.m.
Deadline for applications to be submitted: June 23, 2023
Interview day: July 12, 2023
Applicants will be asked to attend an interview with Great Plains College and Saskatoon Open Door Society to find out if this program is right for you.
Registration: August 11, 2023
Registration meeting with successful candidates
Classes start: September 12, 2023-May 17, 2024
See you soon!
What You Will Learn
Do you want to get a job or enter a new field of work such as a childcare worker? We can help you develop the skills, abilities and attitudes necessary to make that happen. As an essential skills student, you will improve your ability to work with numbers, communicate, read and write. You will be given opportunities to gain the skills that make you ready for the workplace of today, including:
• Developing a workable resume and interview skills
• Earning industry tickets and certifications that match your work path
• Job shadowing and a minimum 60-hour work practicum
• Mentorship, coaching and links to employment
• Language skill development - speaking, listening, reading, writing, as well as conversation and vocabulary related to the workforce
Completing Level 1 Early Childhood Education courses and learning the skills of a childcare worker.
- Transportation will be provided at no cost to the student from Saskatoon to Martensville and return. Please contact a student adviser for more information.
- Eligible students may qualify for a daycare subsidy
- This program is not eligible for student loans consideration or Great Plains College Entrance Scholarships
Find Out More
Build the confidence to take that next step in your employment or education journey in Canada. To learn more about this program, please contact Jennifer or Monica at:
Jennifer Siermachesky-Proctor, student adviser, Great Plains College
Monica Kreiter, program coordinator, Great Plains College