Take the first year (and sometimes more) of almost any University of Regina or University of Saskatchewan program at Great Plains College and enjoy smaller class sizes and quality instruction. Many courses are offered face-to-face (with under 35 people per class), while others are live streamed or delivered online.
The courses listed here are the confirmed face-to-face course offerings for the 2022-23 academic year. Additional online courses can be incorporated into your schedule as required.
What You Will Learn
The University program offers specific, first-year options for a degree in a variety of fields, including:
Arts & Science
The first year provides you with the opportunity to take a variety of courses needed to pursue the degree of your choice. You can also keep your options open and take the time to identify program areas that interest you. Student advisers will work with you to help select classes that meet general degree requirements. That way, when you are ready to choose a major or program you will likely have the prerequisites in place.
Students accepted into the University of Regina’s Elementary or Middle Years programs or the University of Saskatchewan's Early Middle Years program can complete their first year at Great Plains College. Secondary Education students can also take courses toward their program as full-time or part-time students. An adviser will assist you with course selection to fit your Education program.
Students interested in obtaining a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) from the University of Saskatchewan can take their first year, 30 credit hours, of pre-professional Arts and Science courses at Great Plains College.
Begin the first year of a University of Regina Social Work degree and start to gain the skills necessary to counsel individuals and groups, develop and administer programs, and implement problem-solving strategies, often with minority and disadvantaged groups in urban, rural and remote areas. Complete your remaining years online or at the University of Regina.
Please note: transfer credits between the University of Regina and the University of Saskatchewan or to other post-secondary institutions should always be confirmed prior to registration.
- First, apply directly to the University of your choice (University of Regina or University of Saskatchewan)
- If you are applying to U Sask, pick Great Plains College as your campus of choice.
- If you are applying to U of R, you do not have to choose a campus – just apply.
- Once you have received your letter of acceptance from the University, you must also register for the University program at Great Plains College online at greatplainscollege.ca/apply – there is no application fee to do this.
- If you register with the college before April 30, you will be eligible for an Entrance Scholarship from $500 to $5,000 dollars.
- As these scholarships are grade-based, you will be required to supply either your first-semester transcript if you are still in high school OR your full Grade 12 transcript if you have graduated.
- Once you have registered with the college, a student adviser at Great Plains College will contact you directly to make an appointment and discuss your academic plan and course schedule.
Apply as a full-time student before April 30, you may be eligible for a $500-$5,000 Entrance Scholarship. Apply before June 30, if you are in Grade 11 and have a 70% average, you are eligible for a $1,000 Early Entrance Award.
By taking your first year of university through Great Plains College, you’ll double your chances for scholarships as you’ll also be eligible for scholarships from your university of study in addition to the Entrance Scholarships at Great Plains College.