Build the confidence to take that next step in your employment or education journey in Canada. Improve your language skills, develop employment readiness skills and complete a work placement that will prepare you for a career in healthcare.
- Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) Level 5
- Permanent resident
- No recognized Canadian Grade 12
Admission to this program is a three-step process, including: a required information evening, an interview and final registration.
Attend a webinar to learn about the program and next steps for registration. Upcoming webinar dates include:
- August 3, 2023 - 1:00 p.m.
Deadline for applications to be submitted: August 8, 2023
Interview day: August 10, 2023
Applicants will be asked to attend an interview with Great Plains College and Saskatoon Open Door Society to find out if this program is right for you.
Registration: August 11, 2023 or August 17
Registration meeting with successful candidates.
Classes start: September 12, 2023-May 17, 2024
See you soon!
What You Will Learn
Do you enjoy helping people and are looking for a new career with lots of opportunity for growth? This essential skills for newcomers program will prepare you for a career in healthcare. You will focus on employability skills, developing the language skills needed to become a successful caregiver, and completing industry certifications and Continuing Care Assistant courses. During your time in this program, you will:
- Develop employment readiness skills for a care home setting, including teamwork, confidence and time management
- Improve language skills, including reading, writing and speaking skills, medical terminology, academic essay writing and communication with clients, families and your healthcare coworkers
- Learn job search skills including resume writing and interview preparation
- Earn industry tickets and certifications including CPR-C/First Aid; Professional Assault Response Training; Transferring, Lifting and Repositioning; WHMIS; Food Safe and driver training
- Earn three post-secondary course credits toward the Continuing Care Assistant program at Great Plains College or Saskatchewan Polytechnic
- Complete a work placement in a care home that will earn you 60 hours of work experience
After completing this program, you'll be ready to start working in healthcare and continue building the skills that will lead you to your long-term career goals.
Begin working in a care home setting and apply to the Continuing Care Assistant (CCA) program and earn your CCA certificate to advance your career in healthcare.
Transportation will be provided at no cost to the student from Saskatoon to Martensville and return.
This program is not eligible for student loans consideration or Great Plains College Entrance Scholarships.
Find Out More
Build the confidence to take that next step in your employment or education journey in Canada. To learn more about this program, please contact Jennifer or Monica at:
Jennifer Siermachesky-Proctor, student adviser, Great Plains College
Monica Kreiter, program coordinator, Great Plains College