Build the confidence to take that next step in your employment or education journey in Canada. Improve your language skills, develop employment readiness skills and complete a work placement that will prepare you for a career in healthcare.
- Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) Level 5
- Permanent resident
- No recognized Canadian Grade 12
Course runs: November 2, 2021-June 30, 2022
Admission to this program is a three step process, including: a required information evening, an interview and final registration.
Information session: September 27, 28, 29 or October 4, 5, 2021
Learn about this program and all it has to offer, including next steps for registration. Click here to select a date and register.
Deadline for applications to be submitted: October 8, 2021
Interview day: October 14, 2021
Applicants will be asked to attend an interview with Great Plains College to find out if this program is right for you.
Classes start: November 2, 2021
See you soon!
What You Will Learn
Do you enjoy helping people and are looking for a new career with lots of opportunity for growth? This essential skills for newcomers program will prepare you for a career in healthcare. You will focus on employability skills, developing the language skills needed to become a successful caregiver, and completing industry certifications and Continuing Care Assistant courses. During your time in this program, you will:
- Develop employment readiness skills for a care home setting, including teamwork, confidence and time management
- Improve language skills, including reading, writing and speaking skills, medical terminology, academic essay writing and communication with clients, families and your healthcare coworkers
- Learn job search skills including resume writing and interview preparation
- Earn industry tickets and certifications including CPR-C/First Aid; Professional Assault Response Training; Transferring, Lifting and Repositioning; WHMIS; Food Safe and driver training
- Earn three post-secondary course credits toward the Continuing Care Assistant program at Great Plains College or Saskatchewan Polytechnic
- Complete a work placement in a care home that will earn you 80 hours of work experience
After completing this program, you'll be ready to start working in healthcare and continue building the skills that will lead you to your long-term career goals.
Begin working in a care home setting and apply to the Continuing Care Assistant (CCA) program and earn your CCA certificate to advance your career in healthcare.
Application fee is $60. Eligible students may qualify for training allowance.
This program is not eligible for student loans consideration or Great Plains College Entrance Scholarships.
Find Out More
Build the confidence to take that next step in your employment or education journey in Canada. To learn more about this program, please contact Rita or Monica at:
Rita Harrison, student adviser, Great Plains College
Monica Kreiter, program coordinator, Great Plains College