The Canadian Red Cross recommends this course for those who have never received Standard First Aid/CPR certification before OR those who may have let their most current Standard First Aid/CPR certification expire.
This is a comprehensive two-day course offering First Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) skills for those who need training due to work requirements or those who want more knowledge to respond to emergencies at home. This course meets legislation requirements for provincial worker safety and insurance boards and includes the latest First Aid and CPR guidelines.
- The Red Cross
- Preparing to respond
- The EMS system
- Check, Call, Care
- Airway emergencies
- Breathing and Circulation emergencies
- First Aid for respiratory and cardia arrest
- Wound care
- Head, neck and spinal injuries
- Bone, muscle and joint injuries
- Sudden Medical Emergencies
- Environmental Illnesses
- Poisons (includes Opioid poisoning)
Includes any other content required by specific legislation
CPR LEVEL ‘C’
The level of CPR that Great Plains College offers during public courses is Level C, which provides CPR and AED training for emergencies in Adults, Children, and Infants. Those who require CPR Level A for their workplace training should be aware that Level C covers all topics found in Level A PLUS additional training pertaining to children and infants.
The Canadian Red Cross Standard First Aid/CPR/AED certification is valid for three years.
- Students will receive their 3-year certificate directly from the Canadian Red Cross by EMAIL to the email address indicated on your student registration form. Students are encouraged to utilize a PERSONAL email address for their Red Cross account.
- Students are encouraged to dress in comfortable clothing and footwear that is ideal for physical activity and floor work.
- Students are required to be capable of performing all physical skills required for certification.
- Students will not receive a manual during the course but will receive free access to the Comprehensive First Aid digital manual. Paper copies of a condensed First Aid manual are available for purchase upon request.
- Please inform us if you require certification for work in the province of B.C.
- Please contact us if you require a private course for your company or customized for a special group that may not require full certification (such as young children and senior citizens)
BLS (Basic Life Support)
The Canadian Red Cross phased out a CPR Level that was formerly available for Healthcare Providers called CPR-Level HCP in 2019 and replaced it with a course called BLS (Basic Life Support) which exceeds requirements formerly found in HCP-level training.
The BLS course is designed for professionals with a duty to respond which includes in-facility care providers such as Nursing staff, Care Aids, Medical and Dental professionals; as well as pre-hospital care providers such as Fire Services, Rescue Services, Life Guards, Ski Patrol, Sports Medicine, and more.
BLS certification is only valid for ONE YEAR. BLS can be renewed in a 2-hour BLS Recert course.
Please note that the BLS course cannot be provided during any regular First Aid/CPR course. Students must enroll in a BLS-specific course where ALL students participating will require BLS training.
- BLS can be provided as a Stand-Alone course (4 hours)
- BLS can be provided with Airway Management added (5 hours)
- BLS can be provided with Oxygen Therapy added (5 hours)
- BLS can be provided with Airway Management & Oxygen Therapy added (6 hours)
Please contact us for more information and scheduling of BLS courses.
|Dec 18, 2023 - Dec 19, 2023, 8:30 am - 4:00 pm|
|Feb 1, 2024 - Feb 2, 2024, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm|
|Mar 25, 2024 - Mar 26, 2024, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm|
|Apr 29, 2024 - Apr 30, 2024, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm|
|May 23, 2024 - May 24, 2024, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm|
|Dec 4, 2023 - Dec 5, 2023, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm|
|May 9, 2024, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm|