- Assessments will not be booked until it can be verified that the student has already completed their 3-hour online course or unless the student is completing all components of the course at the College
This course shows workers how to work safely in and around Hydrogen Sulphide (H2S) environments.
- H2S Properties
- Health Hazards and Locations
- Hazard Assessment and Control
- Respiratory Protective Equipment
- Detection of H2S
- Initial Response Strategy
Students complete a two-part renewal rather than attending a full, one-day class:
- Part 1 is a 3-hour online course. Students must achieve a minimum score of 70% to pass Part 1 of the Renewal.
- Part 2 is a 30-minute Skills Assessment that must be completed with a certified instructor at Great Plains College.
Successful completion of the Skills Assessment will result in a Certificate of Completion that is valid for three years.
*Should a student be unsuccessful in either the online theory or skills assessment on the first attempt, they will be required to attend classroom delivery of H2S Alive to achieve their certification.
How to Register for the Online Course - Cost: $79
- Students must have a valid H2S certificate upon purchase of the online course
- Students may either purchase the online course directly through Energy Safety Canada by clicking this link or may purchase a(n) access code(s) for the online course through Great Plains College.
- Students may complete their online course on their own or at Great Plains College. An additional $23 is applicable for utilizing College computer lab to complete the online course.
- Students have 90 days to complete their online course from time of purchase.
- Students will need their Energy Safety Canada Account credentials to purchase and/or access the online course. If you do not know your account login credentials, please contact Energy Safety Canada at 1-800-667-5557 to obtain.
Technical Equipment Requirements for Online Course
- Latest version of Chrome
- Web camera (used only during the final exam)
- Headphones or speakers (optional)
- Strong internet connection
- Government Issued Photo ID
How to Register for the Skills Assessment Cost: $105
Up to 90 days after student has completed the online course, they may register with Great Plains College to complete their Skills Assessment. Skills Assessments are available at 5 p.m. on any day that H2S Alive is scheduled. Students may not register for their Skills Assessment until they have completed their online course. Students will need their Energy Safety Canada Account number handy when registering for Skills Assessment to verify online course completion.
- Students must complete all elements of the Renewal in full. Students who miss any course content cannot be certified and registration fees will not be reimbursed
- Only students with a current H2S Alive certificate may register for the H2S Alive Blended Renewal.
- Participants must be able to put on a mask and breathe under air.
- Participants must be able to participate in rescue drag techniques.
- For the skills assessment, students should wear sturdy footwear and clothing compatible with the activity and movement associated with rescue techniques and donning/doffing of an SCBA.
- Basic literacy and understanding in the language the course is being taught is required.
- Students have 90 days from the date of registration to complete the online portion.
- After completing the online portion, students have 90 days to complete the skills assessment through Great Plains College in order to be certified.
- Registration in the Blended Renewal does not extend the current certificate’s expiration date.