This applied certificate program provides the entry-level skills training to help find employment in the electrical trade.
Biggar Dates – suspended indefinitely
Swift Current Dates – August to December OR February to May
Approximate tuition does not include mandatory fees.
- Grade 11 with Foundations of Mathematics 20 or Workplace and Apprenticeship Mathematics 20 or Pre-Calculus 20. Previous Saskatchewan Math 20 also accepted
- English language requirement
Please note that if you do not meet these entrance requirements, special admissions options may be available.
JULY 6, 2020 UPDATE > this program has been suspended indefinitely at the Biggar Program Centre. For more information about electrician opportunities at the Swift Current campus, please contact student adviser Diana Molyneux via email or by calling 306-778-5454.
- August to December
- February to May
What You Will Learn
This 17-week applied certificate program provides entry-level skills training. You will learn how to make electrical installations and perform maintenance duties according to industry standards. You can expect to spend approximately 60 per cent of your time in the classroom and the remaining 40 per cent in the shop.
Up to 300 hours of trade time as well as academic credit for Level 1 Apprenticeship may be available to graduates who find employment in the trade and register as apprentices with the Saskatchewan Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Commission (SATCC) within the specified three-year timeline.
Electricians lay out, assemble, install, test, troubleshoot and repair electrical wiring, fixtures, control devices and related equipment in buildings and other structures. They may be employed by electrical contractors and maintenance departments of buildings, large manufacturing and mining firms, retail and wholesale outlets, or they may be self-employed.
In 2018, the annual salary range for full-time electricians (except industrial and power system) in Saskatchewan was $37,440 - $87,360, according to the Saskatchewan Ministry of the Economy. Employees may earn more or less depending on their employer, location, size of company, apprenticeship training, experience and hours worked.
Apply before the Entrance Scholarship deadline (see below) and you may be eligible for a $500 – $5,000 Entrance Scholarship. You are eligible for an additional Early Entrance Award of $1,000 if you are in Grade 11 with at least a 70 per cent average (based on four core classes) and apply before June 30.
More Information About Scholarships
Entrance Scholarship Deadlines
- April 30 – August start (Biggar, Swift Current)
- October 31 – February start (Swift Current)