As an early childhood educator, you plan and organize activities for preschool and school-aged children. You also lead children in activities to stimulate and develop their intellectual, physical and emotional growth.
- Grade 12 with English Language Arts A30 and B30*
- English language requirement
- Criminal record check, immunization record, Standard First Aid, and CPR may all be required prior to practicum.
Please note that if you do not meet these entrance requirements, special admissions options may be available.
*Grade 12 is not required for Level 1 Early Childhood Education courses, which is a requirement to work in licensed Saskatchewan child care centres.
- Dynamics of Play 1 (ECE 106): March 18-May 20, 2021
- Observation 1 (ECE 181): April 13-June 8, 2021
Part-time classes offered in 2021-22 are:
-Growth and Development of Young Children (HUMD 102): September 9-October 7, 2021
-Child Guidance 1 (HUMD 183): October 12-November 18, 2021
-Professionalism 1 (PD 100): November 23-December 21, 2021
-Health, Safety, and Nutrition (ECE 142): January 13-February 10, 2022
-Curriculum Design in Early Childhood Education 1 (ECE 108): February 22-March 22, 2022
-Dynamics of Play 1 (ECE 106): March 29-May 3, 2022
-Curriculum Design in Early Childhood Education 2 (ECE 109): May 10-June 16, 2022
Completion of ECE 106, ECE 142 and HUMD 183 meet the Ministry's minimum training requirements for Level 1 certification.
To register or for more information, contact student adviser Diana Molyneux via email.
LEVEL 1 – CERTIFICATE OF ACHIEVEMENT
– Health, Safety & Nutrition (ECE 142): September 1–October 22, 2020
– Dynamics of Play (ECE 106): October 27–December 11, 2020
– Guidance of Young Children (HUMD 183): January 5–March 9, 2021
DIPLOMA IN EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION YEAR 1
– Introduction to Early Childhood Education (ECE 100): March 16–May 4, 2021
– Observation I (ECE 181): May 11–June 29, 2021
DIPLOMA IN EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION YEAR 2
– Play Environments (ECE 200): September 3, 2020–October 8, 2020
– Programming for School-Age Children (ECE 226): October 15–November 19, 2020
– Child Guidance II (HUMD 200): November 26, 2020–January 14, 2021
– Inclusion in Early Learning & Childcare Settings (ECE 203): January 21–March 18, 2021
– Anti-Bias Education in Early Childhood (ECE 220): March 25–May 20, 2021
– Administrative Skills for Early Childhood Educators (ADMN 204): May 27–June 29, 2021
Practicums may also be arranged by contacting the program coordinator, Tessica Casavant.
What You Will Learn
This part-time diploma program gives you an understanding of children’s varying physical, social, cognitive, creative and emotional development stages and teaches the importance of play as a vehicle for learning. ECE 106, 142 and HUMD 183 meet the ministry’s minimum training requirements for Level 1 certification, while an additional ten courses and two practicums meet the license requirement for Level 2 certification.
All courses are delivered evenings only at Swift Current and Warman Campuses.
As an early childhood educator you will plan and organize activities for preschool and school-aged children. You will also lead children in activities to stimulate and develop their intellectual, physical and emotional growth. Employment may be obtained in early learning centres, preschools and private day homes, to name just a few.
In 2019, the annual salary range for full-time early childhood educators and assistants in Saskatchewan was $24,000 - $55,990, according to the Saskatchewan Ministry of the Economy. Employees may earn more or less depending on their employer, location, size of company, training, experience and hours worked.