As an early childhood educator, you plan and organize activities for preschool and school-aged children. You also lead children in activities to stimulate and develop their intellectual, physical and emotional growth.
- Grade 12 with English Language Arts A30 and B30*
- Criminal record check, immunization record, Standard First Aid, and CPR Level C are recommended prior to PRAC 104 and 105.
- English language requirement
Please note that if you do not meet these entrance requirements, special admissions options may be available.
*Grade 12 is not required for Level 1 Early Childhood Education courses, which is a requirement to work in licensed Saskatchewan child care centres.
- Role of Play in Early Childhood Education (ECE 106): September 24-November 12, 2019
- Child & Adolescent Development (HUMD 100): October 3-November 28, 2019
- Programming for Creative Arts Development (ECE 102): January 9-April 2, 2020 **Pre-requisites: HUMD 100, ECE 100, ECE 181
- Health, Safety and Nutrition (ECE 142): January 14-March 10, 2020
- Child Guidance 1 (HUMD 183): March 24-June 2, 2020
- Roles & Values of the Educator (ECE 101): April 23-June 11, 2020
Completion of ECE 106, ECE 142 and HUMD 183 is equivalent to the Ministry's Level 1 certification.
LEVEL 1 - CERTIFICATE
Level 1 course offerings TBD
LEVEL 2 - CERTIFICATE
- Programming for Creative Arts Development (ECE 102): September 3-October 22, 2019
- Programming for Language Development (ECE 103): October 29-December 10, 2019
- Programming for Social and Emotional Development (ECE 105): January 7-February 18, 2020
- Programming for Cognitive Development (ECE 104): February 25-April 7, 2020
- Roles and Values of the Early Childhood Educator (ECE 101): April 14-May 26, 2020
LEVEL 3 - DIPLOMA
- Observation and Assessment (ECE 221): May 16-June 27, 2019
- Program Planning for Early Childhood Education Programs (ECE 201): September 5-October 24, 2019
- Programming for Infants and Toddlers (ECE 202): October 31-December 12, 2019
- Teamwork Skills (COMM 294): January 9-February 6, 2020
-Professionalism in Early Childhood Education (PD 240): February 13-March 19, 2020
- Play Environments (ECE 200): March 26-April 30, 2020
- Programming for School Age Children (ECE 226): May 7-June 18, 2020
Practicums may also be arranged by contacting the program coordinator, Robin Bendig.
What You Will Learn
This part-time certificate program gives you an understanding of children’s varying physical, social, cognitive, creative and emotional development stages and teaches the importance of play as a vehicle for learning. ECE 106, 142 and HUMD 183 meet the ministry’s minimum training requirements for Level 1 certification, while an additional ten courses and two practicums meet the license requirement for Level 2 certification.
All courses are delivered evenings only at Swift Current and Warman Campuses.
As an early childhood educator you will plan and organize activities for preschool and school-aged children. You will also lead children in activities to stimulate and develop their intellectual, physical and emotional growth. Employment may be obtained in early learning centres, preschools and private day homes, to name just a few.
In 2018, the annual salary range for full-time early childhood educators and assistants in Saskatchewan was $23,000 - $56,240, according to the Saskatchewan Ministry of the Economy. Employees may earn more or less depending on their employer, location, size of company, training, experience and hours worked.