As an educational assistant, you will assist classroom teachers by working one-on-one with children and youth with diverse learning needs, assisting them in all aspects of their school work and helping create inclusive classrooms.
• Grade 12
• English language requirement
• Criminal Record Check and/or Vulnerable Sector Check may all be required prior to practicum.
Please note that if you do not meet the entrance requirements, special admissions options may be available.
- Individuals may apply to the full program or individual courses.
- A completed Educational Assistant program will also give you credit for Early Childhood Education Level 1 certification, pending application to and approval of the Ministry of Education.
- Select courses from the Educational Assistant program may also transfer into the Disability Support Worker program.
- Individuals with a minimum 2 years experience, employed as Educational Assistants, may be eligible to PLAR the 2 practicums. PLAR opportunity will be considered in their current workplace without interruption to their existing employment and duties assigned.
2022-23 course offerings:
• EDUC 180 - Supporting Instruction 1: September 7-October 11, 2022
• HUMD 100 - Child and Adolescent Development: October 13-November 10, 2022
• HUMD 101 - Guiding Behaviour: November 15-December 20, 2022
• SPSY 281 - Studies of Exceptionality A: January 3-February 4, 2023
• Professionalism: February 7-March 18, 2023
• CLTR 100 - Diversity: March 21-April 27, 2023
• PRAC 174 - Practicum 1: May 1-June 2, 2023
September 2023-June 24 course offerings (dates TBA):
• PERS 103 - Basic Care Skills
• FMLY 181 - Family Dynamics
• EDUC 181 - Supporting Instruction 2
• SPSY 282 - Studies of Exceptionality B
• JOBS 125 - Essential Job Skills
• COMM 291 - Interpersonal Communications
• Personal Wellness
• PRAC 175 - Practicum 2
What You Will Learn
In this part-time certificate program, you will learn about everything from basic care skills and crisis prevention techniques, to social, emotional and cognitive development. You will also complete two practicums that will give you an opportunity to practice your skills and gain a better understanding of what to expect in a real classroom with real kids.
This program will be offered via blended delivery which will include a combination of face-to-face classes, online learning and self-study.
Educational Assistant graduates work in elementary, junior high and high schools in communities around the province. School divisions offer full time, part time and casual positions. You might be based in the classroom or resource room. You might assist with a lunch program or a before/after school program.
You can also explore career opportunities outside the traditional school setting—in youth centres, community centres, care facilities and alternative education programs.
In 2019, the annual salary range for full-time educational assistants in Saskatchewan was $33,300 - $55,200, according to the Saskatchewan Ministry of the Economy. Employees may earn more or less depending on their employer, location, size of company, training, experience and hours worked.