As an educational assistant, you will assist classroom teachers by working one-on-one with children and youth with diverse learning needs, assisting them in all aspects of their school work and helping create inclusive classrooms.
• Grade 12
• English language requirement
• Criminal Record Check and/or Vulnerable Sector Check may all be required prior to practicum.
Please note that if you do not meet the entrance requirements, special admissions options may be available.
• HUMD 101 - Guiding Behaviour: January 5-31, 2022
• HUMR 180 - Roles and Responsibilities: January 31-February 23, 2022
• SPSY 281 - Studies of Exceptionality A: February 28-March 23, 2022
• EDUC 180 - Supporting Instruction 1: March 23-April 19, 2022
• SEM 106 - Practicum Integration Seminar: April 20-April 27, 2022
• PRAC 174 - Practicum 1: May 2-June 7: 2022
2022-23 course offerings (dates TBA):
• PERS 103 - Basic Care Skills
• HUMD 100 - Child and Adolescent Development
• SAFE 109 - Introduction to Crisis Intervention
• CLTR 180 - Culture and Diversity
• EMPL 180 - Employability Skills
• FMLY 181 - Family Dynamics
• COMM 291 - Interpersonal Communications
• SPSY 282 - Studies of Exceptionality B
• EDUC 181 - Supporting Instruction 2
• PRAC 175 - Practicum 2
- Individuals may apply to the full program or individual courses.
- A completed Educational Assistant (EA) program may give you credit for Level 1 in the Early Childhood Education program, pending application and approval of the Ministry of Education.
- Up to 6 of the EA courses may also transfer into the Disability Support Worker program.
What You Will Learn
In this part-time certificate program, you will learn about everything from basic care skills and crisis prevention techniques, to social, emotional and cognitive development. You will also complete two practicums that will give you an opportunity to practice your skills and gain a better understanding of what to expect in a real classroom with real kids.
Educational Assistant graduates work in elementary, junior high and high schools in communities around the province. School divisions offer full time, part time and casual positions. You might be based in the classroom or resource room. You might assist with a lunch program or a before/after school program.
You can also explore career opportunities outside the traditional school setting—in youth centres, community centres, care facilities and alternative education programs.
In 2019, the annual salary range for full-time educational assistants in Saskatchewan was $33,300 - $55,200, according to the Saskatchewan Ministry of the Economy. Employees may earn more or less depending on their employer, location, size of company, training, experience and hours worked.